thumb-2021-06-020
thumb-2021-06-020 This article is more than 1 year old
News Brief

Zero Per Cent of Manitobans Say They Are ‘Very Satisfied’ With Brian Pallister’s Handling of COVID-19 Pandemic, Poll Finds

Four-in-five Manitobans say they are overall ‘dissatisfied’ with Pallister

Has Brian Pallister finally hit rock bottom?

A string of polls throughout the last six months from have consistently ranked Manitoba’s premier among the least popular in Canada.

Most recently, a whopping 81% of Manitobans said they were overall “dissatisfied” with Pallister’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, leaving only 19% “somewhat satisfied,” according to a Leger poll released last week.

Even more noteworthy is the lack of enthusiasm for Pallister, the only Canadian premier for whom 0% of respondents indicated they were “very satisfied” with his COVID-19 measures, ranking even further below Ontario’s Doug Ford (6%) and Alberta’s Jason Kenney (8%).

Leger

Manitoba was the worst COVID hotspot in North America in May. Manitoba’s rate of COVID-19 infections was triple the national average and the highest per capita in North America, leading the New York Times to take note of Pallister’s handling of the emergency:

“Perhaps more than other premiers that we’ve had in this province and other premiers in other provinces, the premier is the decider,” Agnes Welch, a principal at Probe Research, told the New York Times. “The common wisdom now is that he is very much a one-man show.”

Bad polling piling up for Pallister and the Manitoba PCs. Pallister was Canada’s second most unpopular premier in March and June with 36% and 33% approval, according to Angus Reid, alongside Ford and Kenney.

Two thirds of Manitobans strongly disapproved of Pallister’s leadership in April, according to a Probe Research poll – including one third of respondents who had previously voted for Pallister’s PCs.

Pallister was also Canada’s most unpopular premier in December 2020, according to Angus Reid. Pallister had botched planning for the second wave, which became one of the worst in Canada.

Will Pallister seek another term? Pallister’s unpopularity has already led him to hint he may not seek a third term, but will see the COVID-19 pandemic through. According to these polls, Manitobans may want him gone much sooner.

 

Our journalism is powered by readers like you.

We’re an award-winning non-profit news organization that covers topics like social and economic inequality, big business and labour, and right-wing extremism.

Help us build so we can bring to light stories that don’t get the attention they deserve from Canada’s big corporate media outlets.

 

Donate
PressProgress
PressProgress is an award-winning non-profit news organization focused on uncovering and unpacking the news through original investigative and explanatory journalism.

Most Shared

A4C News

Pierre Poilievre Claims He’s a Friend of the ‘Working Class’. He’s Spent Years Attacking Canadian Workers.

Related Stories

News Brief

US Senator Josh Hawley Compares Life in Alberta Under Jason Kenney’s UCP Government to ‘Communist China’

View the post
News Brief

Older Conservative News Consumers Want Journalists to Remain ‘Neutral on Every Issue’, Including Racism and Climate Change

View the post
News Brief

Military Admits It Made ‘Errors’ Aiming Propaganda at Canadians and Spying on Black Lives Matter Groups

View the post

Explainers

Human rights & inclusion

Amira Elghawaby

Here’s The Problem With Hoping Corporations Will Be Socially and Environmentally Responsible On Their Own

View the post
Politics & strategy

Jeremy Appel

The battle of the PACs in Calgary’s municipal election

View the post
Politics & strategy

Jeremy Appel

27 Different Candidates are Vying to be Calgary’s Mayor. Here Are the Biggest Issues at Stake.

View the post
Newspapers always have a business section – why not a labour section? We’ve launched a free newsletter covering labour issues in Canada.
Get Canadian Labour News You Won't Find in Corporate Newspapers.
We’ve launched a free newsletter covering labour issues in Canada.
Get Canadian Labour News You Won't Find in Corporate Newspapers