Have an idea for a story?
PressProgress wants to hear from you.
Canada’s a big place. We need you to be our eyes and ears to let us know what’s happening in communities across the country.
We’re always open to tips, especially if it is:
- Something new and interesting that hasn’t been reported before;
- Something about public policy, public institutions, public officials, candidates for public office or those seeking to influence public opinion;
- Something related to issues we prioritize like social and economic inequality, labour rights, the environment or Canadian democracy;
- Something we can independently verify, especially things backed-up through documents, videos, photos, audio recordings, etc.
How to share tips through e-mail
If your information is not sensitive and you have no concerns about security, you can send us tips and story ideas directly by e-mail:
If your organization would like to send us press releases or add us to your distribution lists, those can be directed to this e-mail address:
How to share tips through our anonymous tips portal
Our anonymous tips portal is designed for anyone who wants to share sensitive documents with us or anyone who may have concerns about a tip being traced back to their computer.
All messages sent through this portal are secure and untraceable. PressProgress does not collect or log any identifiable information about you or your device and we cannot comply with any demand to reveal the identity of sources who share tips with us through this portal. For more information about how we protect our sources, click here.
You can use our portal using a normal web browser and we will only know as much information as you are comfortable sharing with us. However, for greater security, consider taking these additional steps:
Please note our anonymous tips portal only allows for one-way communications, meaning we will be unable to reply to you or ask follow-up questions if you choose to use this tool.
How we protect our sources
PressProgress takes the protection of our sources very seriously.
We receive many tips from ordinary people who just noticed something happening in their community that they thought deserves more attention. We also hear from advocacy groups that have their ears to the ground on important issues.
Most people who share tips with us have little to worry about. But sometimes we receive tips from people with access to sensitive or confidential information who may be worried about facing consequences if someone discovers they shared that information with journalists.
PressProgress is committed to helping limit risks to our sources by taking the following steps to guard their information and protect their identities:
- We will only publish the name of someone who has supplied us with a tip with their consent;
- When we agree to grant a source anonymity, we will not disclose their identity to anyone other than those working directly on the story.
- PressProgress is prepared to defend our sources to the greatest of our abilities against any demand to force us to disclose their identities.
- In order to further limit the risk of a source’s identity being compromised, we have created an anonymous tips portal that conceals your identity from everyone — including from us.