jackboot-attackad_thumb
jackboot-attackad_thumb
News

This BC Attack Ad Bashing Proportional Representation is So Bad, They ‘Briefly’ Pulled It Off The Air

President of ‘No’ campaign admits attack ad using images of neo-Nazis and ‘jackboot’ military parades could have been ‘misconstrued’

October 26, 2018

The official “No” campaign for British Columbia’s upcoming electoral reform referendum is under fire after an attack ad that attempted to link electoral reform to Nazis didn’t quite go as smoothly as planned.

This week, the big money-backed No BC Proportional Representation Society pulled and edited a particularly nasty attack ad that aired both on TV and online.

The attack ad features images of neo-Nazis, goose-stepping soldiers and rubber tires burning in the middle of streets, all in an attempt to burn scary images in the minds of voters about the dangers of proportional representation, a system used by most democracies around the world. Believe it or not, countries like New Zealand, Norway or Switzerland have managed to use pro rep for decades without falling to authoritarian regimes.

The original ad showed a bizarre montage of images that are completely unrelated to the issue of electoral reform, including shots of a European neo-Fascist youth group,  stock video of police at a labour day demonstration in Berlin, a news clipping about a Swedish political party that traces its roots to the neo-Nazi movement and a clip of ultra right-wing protesters in Tel Aviv.

Most BC pundits agreed the ad is “horribly misleading and sensational”:

 

Meanwhile, others produced parodies ridiculing the “jackboot fascist conspiracy” attack ad:

 

 

In a statement, No BC Pro Rep President Bill Tieleman explained his group “briefly removed” the video over concerns it could offend some viewers.

“The ad could be misconstrued and be wrongly connected to middle eastern politics in a way which was not at all intended,” Tieleman told PressProgress..

The video juxtaposes clips referencing “neo-Nazis” and a “Hungarian strongman” with an image of protesters waving Israeli flags as a narrator suggests proportional representation could have “disastrous results.”

That video clip, captioned “Israel Right Now,” is sold for $179 on a stock video website called Storyblocks. It also appears to have been filmed in 2016.

Nonetheless, Tieleman defends the sensationalizing tone in the rest of his group’s ad, noting he is “extremely concerned” about “neo-Nazi linked parties,” and adding “there is no place for such extremists in our BC Legislature.”

Tieleman’s opinion is at odds with world renowned political scientists, such as  Arend Lijphart, who says countries using proportional representation systems actually have “kinder, gentler democracies.”

The ad is only the latest example of escalating fear-mongering from anti-reformers.

Just last month, Tieleman’s co-director Suzanne Anton claimed that countries using proportional representation end up seeing “dictators rise to power.”

 

Tieleman himself denounced people using the word “dictatorship” in debates on electoral reform only a few months ago:

 

 

But then here’s Tieleman just a few weeks later sharing some “over the top rhetoric” himself, making the same ludicrous claim as his anti-reform colleagues about proportional representation leading to dictatorships:

 

The no side seems to only be encouraging commentators to criticize anti-reformers for relying on “scare tactics” to get their message across.

As the Globe and Mail’s Gary Mason writes:

“One of the most popular go-to arguments the anti-PR brigade is using is that electoral reform will open the door to extremist parties, and before you know it, you have another Hitler running your province or country. This is a distortion and disinformation campaign intended to distract voters and to divert their attention away from considering the obvious benefits of a voting system that does a far better job of reflecting the overall wishes of the public.”

 

Invest in our work

We break news and shine a light on stories Canada’s major media outlets miss. But we need your help to keep making an impact.

Subscribe to our Friday Newsletter

Too busy to follow the daily news? Get the inside scoop on the entire week’s news sent to your email inbox every Friday at noon.

Invest in our work

We break news and shine a light on stories Canada’s major media outlets miss. But we need your help to keep making an impact.

wile-kenney_thumb
wile-kenney_thumb
Exclusive

UCP Candidate Steps Down After Receiving Illegal Corporate Donation from Alberta Car Dealership

UCP nomination candidate Haley Wile announced she was withdrawing due to ‘unforeseen personal circumstances’

October 25, 2018

One of Jason Kenney’s United Conservative Party nomination candidates has withdrawn after taking an illegal corporate donation from a car dealership.

A document dated October 23 newly obtained by PressProgress reveals the Office of the Election Commissioner of Alberta sent a letter of reprimand to UCP nomination hopeful Haley Wile for accepting an “illegal contribution” from Red Deer Motors.

One day later on October 24, Wile announced on Facebook that she had decided to abandon her campaign for the UCP nomination in the…