Doug Jobs
Doug Jobs This article is more than 1 month old
News

Doug Ford’s Government Quietly Cut Over $100 Million for Protecting School Children From COVID-19

Doug Ford scales back funding to ‘support the safe re-opening of schools’, leaving local school boards to shoulder extra costs

Despite the Delta COVID-19 variant being more dangerous to children than earlier variants, Doug Ford’s government is spending $133 million less on “implementing public health protocols in schools.”

Shortly before the legislature broke for the summer, Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce promised the public that the Ford government would redouble efforts to stop kids and school staff from getting infected by COVID-19, pledging new investments to hire nurses and an “enhancement” of classroom cleaning protocols.

“We’re going to continue to invest in mental health, learning loss and COVID-19 resources to ensure students and staff remain safe this September,” Lecce told Queen’s Park in June.

Back in April, the government acknowledged schools were “the sources of more outbreaks than workplaces or any other location.” The COVID-19 Delta variant, meanwhile, was noted by experts to put kids at even greater risk.

But, according to data released by Ontario’s Financial Accountability Office on October 6, the Ford government is actually planning to spend $133 million less on “support for the safe re-opening of schools” than it did in 2020.

Weekend Report Email NewsletterGet PressProgress’ award-winning journalism sent to your inbox every weekend

The line item, the FAO notes, which covers “funding to support the implementation of public health protocols in schools” received $702 million in 2020-21. This year, the province is budgeting $569 million in 2021-22,.

That’s a reduction of about $133 million.

At the same time, according to the report, local school boards have spent $391 million from their reserves — that is up from $244 million last year.

Fred Hahn, President of the Canadian Union of Public Employees Ontario which represents custodians and other school staff, said the Ford government appears to be downloading costs for safe schools to school boards themselves.

“School boards, in order to provide the supports that students and families need, are having to use their reserves,” Hahn told PressProgress. “And it’s why some boards are tapped out and those with some reserves left are spending them now.”

“We understand the roles schools play in our communities and if there aren’t sufficient mechanisms to keep kids safe in schools that will have spillover effects not just for kids but for communities. It’s beyond comprehension that we’re talking not just about a lack of additional investments but about cuts.”

“Our members in schools and many others have been trying to point out the cuts to school budgets the Ford Conservatives have been perpetrating,” Hahn added.

Previously, the FAO disclosed that the Ford government was planning on cutting education spending by over half a billion dollars.

Neither Ontario’s Ministry of Education nor the Ministry of Health responded to requests for comment from PressProgress.

 

Help us protect Canadians by holding the powerful accountable.

Journalism is an important public service. That’s why PressProgress is prioritizing stories aimed at keeping Canadians safe and holding the powerful accountable during the coronavirus pandemic.

Please consider supporting our award-winning non-profit news organization so we can keep making a positive impact for Canadians.

 

Support Our Journalism
PressProgress
PressProgress is an award-winning non-profit news organization focused on uncovering and unpacking the news through original investigative and explanatory journalism.

Most Shared

thumb-2021-011-016 News

Doug Ford Just Released His Fall Economic Update. He Quietly Cut Half A Billion Dollars From Ontario Schools.

Related Stories

News

Big Property Company Tells Investors Its Business Strategy Focuses on ‘Essential Workers’ in Provinces Where There’s ‘No Rent Controls’

View the post
News

BC RCMP Says It Deployed Snipers and Assault Teams Against Unarmed Indigenous Land Defenders Because It Was ‘More Practicable’

View the post
News

American Health Food Tycoon is Funding a WE Charity Proxy Group’s Attack Ads Against CBC News

View the post

Explainers

Politics & strategy

Jeremy Appel

The battle of the PACs in Calgary’s municipal election

View the post
Politics & strategy

Jeremy Appel

27 Different Candidates are Vying to be Calgary’s Mayor. Here Are the Biggest Issues at Stake.

View the post
Work & rights

Shanice Regis-Wilkins

How Labour Activists Pushed For Policies That Protect Workers and the Environment This Election

View the post