Job posting: BC Reporter, PressProgress
We’re hiring a reporter in British Columbia
PressProgress is looking for a BC Reporter to join our award-winning team of journalists.
Closing date June 24.
This position is based in British Columbia and involves producing original investigative reporting on a wide-range of stories relating to federal, provincial and municipal politics, labour and big business and other important social and economic issues in BC.
PressProgress is a news organization built on a non-profit model that is focused on uncovering and unpacking the news through original investigative and explanatory journalism.
Our journalism focuses on holding the rich and powerful accountable, exposing unfair and unhealthyc orking conditions and shining a light on hate and bigotry. Several million Canadians read our stories every year and our work has been cited by every major news organization in Canada, as well as by prominent news organizations in the United States and Europe.
Here are the main things you would be expected to do in this job:
• Regularly pitch and produce original and impactful investigative journalism on assigned topics relating to PressProgress’ priority areas of coverage.
• File FOI requests, obtain public records and tell stories using data.
• Interview public officials and subject matter experts.
• Stay on top of what’s happening in BC using media monitoring tools.
• Display strong judgment and follow responsible journalistic practices.
The person we’re looking for will ideally meet a number of these criteria:
• Experience working in journalism
• Postsecondary degree in a field focused on journalism, public policy or communications
• Strong writing skills, critical thinking skills and a careful eye for detail
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced news environment
• In-depth knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal politics in British Columbia and familiarity with key figures in the province’s political, media and labour / business circles
• Experience filing FOIs, obtaining public records and other relevant research skills
• Experience with video, audio or graphic design and other digital media tools
• Interest in labour issues and a commitment to the Broadbent Principles and social justice
This is a permanent, full-time unionized position governed by a collective agreement between the Broadbent Institute and UFCW 1006-A. The position may be located anywhere in BC and requires working from home.
To apply please forward a cover letter, resume and two examples of past published journalistic work to email@example.com with “BC Reporter, PressProgress.” Closing date June 24.
Our journalism is powered by readers like you.
We’re an award-winning non-profit news organization that covers topics like social and economic inequality, big business and labour, and right-wing extremism.
Help us build so we can bring to light stories that don’t get the attention they deserve from Canada’s big corporate media outlets.